Feb 24, 2009

Gratitude

Everyday when I drop Kip off from school, I realize how Lucky, and Blessed I am to have my kids. Kips school has a program for kids with disabilities who require wheelchairs and walkers. When I watch those little children pushing those walkers through the doors I thank Heavenly Father for the blessings in my life, and for my kids. I am so blessed that I have Sier, who teaches me patience, persistance, passion, and pure love. I'm so fortunate that we don't have walkers, crutches, wheelchairs, or any other devises for that matter. I look at pictures when he would wear his Michael Jackson glove, or all of his casts and realize how easy we've got it with him. I doubt that he won't ever need a brace for his foot to keep it from dragging so much, I'm sure the time will come. I don't look forward to the day when he asks "What is wrong with my body?". He notices now that his body doesn't work the same as other kids his age, and he makes small coments like "my had won't let me" or "my leg just won't keep up while I'm running" BUT...It has NEVER slowed him down, and it's NEVER stopped him from trying things. I get frustrated sometimes with people who are close to us who just don't understand it completely, and expect him to be physically the same as other kids his age. We all forget too quickly that he is a special needs kid, I need to remember that more often when I get frustrated with his physical limitations. I'm lucky and blessed to have him teaching me everyday. We all need these little reminders of how truly easy we have it. So now you know if you seeing me driving out of the school yard in the mornings, and see me cry...it's out of gratitude.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

I just have to tell you that Anthony absolutely loves Sier! He thinks he is the coolest kid ever. He talks about him all the time. He really is a neat kid. Both of them are. And you guys are great parents as far as I can tell.

Mel & Annette said...

He's an amazing kid, and you guys are awesome parents. I know what you mean about people forgetting about special needs. I dealt with that forever with Cam. He looked and appeared normal; so everyone expected him to be normal. It made it really hard on him! Haven't seen you for almost forever. Hmmmm, must be getting time for softball to start!

Mike and Quel said...

You are such a good mom:) I was actually did thinking today, "Wow, I love this mom thing." I just wish I would be better at it! I have pretty rough days sometimes, but its a pretty cool thing that we get to do.

Jamie said...

Good old Sier Bear! Yep, what an amazing kid you have!

Fun Pictures